Skip to content
Text size:

Supported lodgings - when you are leaving care

Supported lodgings is a housing option for people aged 16 and over which prepares you to live on your own when leaving foster or residential care.

Find out more about supported lodgings

Step by Step work with young people aged from 11 to 25 and offer help with accommodation, support, training, and counselling. Some of the services they offer can be accessed directly or by a friend or relative.

Supported accommodation

Supported accommodation is available for young people aged 16 to 25 with extra care and support needs (aged 18 to 25 for those who are homeless or have an addiction or mental health problem). Supported accommodation helps you to get back on your feet and teaches valuable housing related life skills. Supported accommodation can be your home for a maximum of two years, or less if you are ready to move on sooner.

Examples of support include:

  • managing a home and a tenancy
  • managing money, benefits and bills
  • shopping, washing and cooking
  • education and training
  • finding a doctor and dentist
  • finding voluntary or paid employment
  • taking part in social activities and community life

If you want to apply for any of the housing options, you will need to complete a housing application to have your name placed on the register with Dorset Home Choice.

Complete a housing application

Also, read our information in the Help for young people moving into Adult Social Care section.

Further information

Dorset Council housing pages

Shelter – A housing advice organisation that has been changing lives since 1966.  They can provide advice on homelessness, eviction, private renting, repairs, benefits, repossession and more.  Tel: 0800 800 4444.

First Point provides housing related support and guidance to people over 16 years of age facing eviction, rent arrears, court action and budgeting issues.  They can help with accessing and appealing benefit claims, budgeting or household debts, rent arrears and other housing-related issues.  Tel: 0330 123 2550.

Citizens Advice offers information and advice about housing issues, your rights and responsibilities, renting or buying a home or finding somewhere to live, landlords, eviction and mortgage payments and help to avoid losing your home.