Skip to content
Text size:

Why plan?

It's never too early to start planning how you will pay for your future care needs.

Our top ten things to think about will help you, even if you don't need support at the moment.

Not everybody gets funding from the council. Even if you do, the amount you get may not be enough to completely cover the cost of your care.


Check which benefits you may be entitled to.

Funding from the NHS

Free NHS Continuing Healthcare (CHC) is available to people over 18 years old who have been assessed as having a certain level of care need because of illness or disability.

There's no clear-cut list of health conditions or illnesses that qualify for funding and not everyone with ongoing health needs will be eligible. Some conditions and health needs may include (but are not limited to):

  • complex medical conditions that need additional care and support
  • long-term medical conditions
  • physical disabilities, mental health disabilities, or learning disabilities
  • terminal illness including end of life care needs
  • quickly deteriorating health
  • mobility problems
  • behavioural or cognitive disorders, for example not being able to understand easily

If you're eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, your care will be funded by the NHS. The care provided will be reviewed regularly and if your care needs change, the funding arrangements may also change.

The easiest way to know if you are eligible for free NHS continuing healthcare is to ask your GP, community nurse, other health professionals, or social care worker to arrange an assessment.

Free information and advice

The Money Advice Service gives a range of information that can help you. Most people don't need to pay for financial advice.

Paying for advice

You may want to consider paying for advice from an independent regulated financial adviser if:

  • you want to talk to someone who specialises in funding long-term care
  • you have a lot of savings and are thinking about making, or selling, investments
  • you worry that someone close to you may put pressure on you to use your money in a way you would not want

Some independent regulated financial advisers can provide advice on the funding of long-term care. They will be able to explain all the costs and risks involved, and may also be able to help with other things, like arranging your Will or Power of Attorney.

There are some regulated financial advisers who specialise in funding long-term care. They are often called specialist care-fee advisers.

Specialist care-fee advisers can help you to think about your options.  They are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and they may be accredited members of the Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA).

What your adviser needs to know

Your specialist care-fee adviser will ask you questions so they can understand your needs and circumstances. They will put any recommendations in writing.

Finding an adviser

The council is not able to recommend financial advisers or give financial advice. You may already have an independent financial adviser or know someone who can recommend one to you.

The Society of Later Life Advisers (known as SOLLA) can help you to find an adviser in your area who is qualified to offer independent advice and who specialises in financing long-term care and equity release.

Find an adviser near you

Some advisers are members of the Buy with Confidence scheme which means they are approved by Trading Standards as being legal, honest and fair.

Cost of an adviser

The cost of an adviser depends on where you live, your situation and the level of advice you need.

Make sure you ask up-front how much their advice is going to cost, and whether it's a fixed fee, or based on the time they spend working for you.