Skip to content


Coronavirus: Updates and advice

The site usage is optimised for Chrome, Edge and Firefox

Text size:
  • Home
  • Help for young people moving into Adult Social Care
In this section

Preparing for adulthood

Information for young people and their parents.

As a young person approaching adulthood it can be a difficult time for anyone, but it can be more difficult if you have a disability or long term condition. There will be a lot of things you need to start thinking about such as:

  • education - do you want to continue at school or college, or start work related training?
  • work - whether this is paid work, unpaid work experience or volunteering - think about what support you will need to help you start work
  • money - you may want help to learn how to manage your money, paying bills and saving for the future, or finding out about what benefits are available for you
  • housing - you may want to stay at home or think about living with friends, or even on your own
  • how you will stay healthy and keep yourself safe
  • activities - what do you like to do and what support do you need, including transport options

We want to provide young people who have a disability, long term condition or other support need, with a plan for what it is you want to do when you're an adult. We want to help you to develop the skills you need and help you to feel more in control and confident to ask for the right support you need from those around you. This may be at home, school or college, or in the work place. We want to help you to make the most of the opportunities available to you.

We will provide you and your family the opportunity to plan for your future, promoting your independence as much as possible.

Transitions Pathway

Transition is a term used for the change for young people as they progress from support received through Children's Social Care.

We are currently developing our new Transitions Pathway, which will focus on working with you and other people involved in your care and support. As part of the transition pathway an assessment will be completed which will detail the transition to adult services plan. It will include outcomes, views and wishes that matter to you.

The assessment will also decide if you're eligible for care and support from adult services. Care services are free for children, but most adults have to pay something towards the cost of care services. Find out more on our paying for care page.

Getting involved

If you, your parent or guardian would like to help develop the new Transition Pathway, please get in touch with us.

Transitions Team

Tel: 01305216611
Full contact details for Transitions Team

Further Information