Skip to content
Text size:



About the transition team

They are a small team of social workers who work with young people aged 14-25 years who may need adult social care support.

They work with young people with special educational needs or disabilities to help them to plan for adulthood and be as independent as possible.

The social worker will find out what information and advice you, your family, or your carer need to help you prepare for becoming an adult. They will ask you about your plans and what you want to do, and what support you will need to achieve this.

They will let you know if you are likely to get help from the council with any care and support needs. This is called a transition assessment.

What happens at the transition assessment

The assessment is about you and looks at the kind of support you need to live your life as independently as possible.

The social worker will ask you about your life and what you want to achieve. This will include your plans when you leave school which may be going onto sixth form or college, learning new skills, or doing work experience. You will be asked about what help you need to do this.

You will be able to ask the social worker any questions and talk to them about how you are feeling about the changes and any worries you may have.

Your family or carer will be included in the meeting if you want them to be, and if they need an assessment themselves this will be arranged.

From your assessment, we will work out if you are eligible to get social care support from the council, as an adult. If we cannot provide support, we will give you advice and information about other organisations that may be able to help you.

Getting ready for your assessment

Firstly, you need to think about who you want to have at the meeting with you. This could be your parents or carer, or other people you know well.

The transitions social worker needs to make sure that you have someone with you who can help you speak up and understand information if you need help to do so. Family and friends can help you with this, but it may sometimes be difficult for you and you may need or want someone to be with you who is independent. We call the person who is needed to help you understand or speak up an advocate.

An advocate will get to know your views and wishes and will give you support to tell others what these are. If you need support from an advocate, we can arrange one for you.

As this meeting is about you, it’s important for you to be able to tell us as much as possible about what you want to do. We have included some ‘getting ready’ sheets which will help you think about what is important to you and what information you may want. You can write on the sheets and bring them to the meeting if you want to. You can complete these on your own or with your family, carer, or friends, or your transition social care worker can help. We want you to be as involved in planning your care and support as you are able to be.

You may also think about questions you want to ask and it is a good idea to write these down to help you prepare for the meeting.

What happens after the assessment

During the assessment meeting, the social worker will write a report about what you have said. The report will include details of any information and advice you have been given. They will also say if you are likely to be eligible for social care support from the council, as an adult.

You will be sent a copy of the assessment. We will also send a copy to your advocate if you needed one, and anyone else who was at the assessment meeting. You will be asked if you agree with what has been written and any changes can be made.

If your parents or carer had their own assessment, they will be sent this.

If you are likely to be eligible for social care support as an adult, the assessment will be passed onto an adult services social work team. It will be passed on when planning needs to start to make sure that the support is in place. They will work with you to make sure the right services and support are in place.

If you are not eligible for social care support from the council as an adult, the social worker will give you information and advice about other services and support that may be able to help you in the future.

The social worker will also give you some ideas about how to get ready to live as independently as possible when you are an adult.

Some things to think about

Being part of your community

  • what I like to do. Include things like any hobbies you have, sports, or other activities you enjoy doing
  • where I like to go. These could be places you meet friends or where you go to do sports or hobbies. It could even be your local park or library
  • wow I get there. Do you walk, cycle, catch the bus or rely on someone to give you a lift?
  • who I like to meet
  • how I keep myself safe
  • is there anything else you want to tell us?
  • what information or support do you need? Do you have any questions?

When you leave school

  • staying on at school – sixth form or college? Training – an apprenticeship? Work experience or volunteering?
  • getting a job – what sort of work do you want to do?
  • what skills do you have?
  • what skills do want to learn?
  • is there anything else you want to tell us?
  • what information or support do you need? Do you have any questions?

Your health

  • what things you can do to stay fit
  • how to make sure you eat well
  • where to get help to stay healthy: doctor, dentist, optician appointments
  • how to manage any medication that you take or what help you may need to do this
  • is there anything else you want to tell us?
  • what information or support do you need? Do you have any questions?

Independent living

  • where I want to live when I’m an adult: with family? with friends? on my own?
  • the things I can do for myself at home, such as cooking, cleaning, washing and ironing, or what I need to learn
  • I know how to manage money including shopping, budgeting, having a bank account. What help I may need?
  • who I will talk to if I am worried about something
  • is there anything else you want to tell us?
  • what information or support do you need?
  • do you have any questions?

Contact your social worker for further help and guidance.

How do I make comments or complain about Dorset Council?

Dorset Council is committed to providing quality services to you, your carers and family. We welcome any comments as this helps us understand what parts of our service people like.

If you are unhappy about the service you have received and want to make a complaint, please speak to a social care worker or contact Dorset Council and ask for a copy of our complaints leaflet.

You can write to us at:

Complaints Team,


Business Reply Licence number


Dorset Council, Colliton Park,

Dorchester, Dorset, DT1 1XJ.


Or by telephone on 01305 221061


If you don’t want to talk directly to us, you can contact Healthwatch Dorset, an independent organisation that represents the views and wishes of people who use adult social care services in Dorset.

0300 111 0102

Accessibility statement

Dorset Council is committed to making its information and services accessible to all. If you would like any information in an alternative format please contact us

01305 221000

Contact us

You can find further information about adult social care and support services provided by Dorset Council at:

01305 221016