Skip to content
Text size:
  • Home
  • Living with a disability

Autism and Asperger’s in Adult’s

Dorset Council do not diagnose Autism or support in the diagnostic process.
Support from Dorset Council may come once a diagnosis is made and there are eligible support needs. Contact your GP for advice. Further information can be found from NHS information.

Support groups are in local communities and may be able to offer advice and peer support. Search Help and Kindness for support groups.

Useful contacts

Community Adult Asperger's Service

Delphwood Poole -01202 605875

Our Community Adult Asperger Service (CAAS) offers a wide range of services to people with a diagnosis of an autism spectrum condition (Asperger's Syndrome or High Functioning Autism).

We work with people over the age of 18 who don’t have a learning disability, providing a range of person-centred care and support. This can include:

  • diagnostic assessment, including second opinions
  • group work including post-diagnostic, coping skills and sensory groups
  • specialist psychological or occupational therapy assessments and interventions
  • advice and signposting to other relevant agencies, services and groups
  • advice on arranging an assessment of your social care needs, where appropriate
  • support to professionals in other teams and agencies to improve their understanding of the condition.

Our experienced team includes clinical psychologists, a consultant psychiatrist, occupational therapists, a specialist nurse therapist, assistant psychologists and team assistants.

If you, or a loved one, need to access this service, please contact your GP. If you, or your loved one, are already under the care of a Community Mental Health Team (CMHT), a diagnosis will be made by a doctor in that team. However, a second opinion may be sought through the CAAS by the relevant CMHT.