Skip to content
Text size:

Physical disability

Some people with a physical disability may only require a minimum amount of support and assistance, others may need specialised support. Your specific circumstance will determine what assistance you need to help you live independently.

The key aspect in defining physical disability is not whether you have a specific condition; it is how that physical condition affects your daily life.

The Steps 2 Wellbeing service is a free, confidential, NHS service for people aged 18 and over. They provide a service across the county of Dorset for people registered at a Dorset GP surgery. They offer a range of treatments and can give support over the telephone, face-to-face, in groups, or via the internet.

If you would like to learn more about a specific disability or related condition, you can visit the NHS website which has an A-Z list of conditions and disabilities.

Visit the NHS website here

Useful contacts

The Stroke Association is the UK’s leading charity dedicated to conquering stroke. They deliver stroke services across the UK, campaign for better stroke care, invest in research and fundraise to expand their reach to as many stroke survivors as possible.

They also have a vast amount of advice and information on a wide range of topics that someone with a stroke might need support with. You can access these in various different formats including, standard leaflets, large print, Braille, or listen to them by using the audio files.

My Stroke Guide is the stroke support tool and online community from the Stroke Association. You can find:

  • advice and information
  • video library
  • connect with other stroke survivors
  • ask questions
  • information for families

You need to create an account in order to use the site which you can do by using the link provided.

Different Strokes is run by younger stroke survivors for younger stroke survivors. We have personal experience of the realities of life after a stroke.

Help and Care have been working across South-Central England for over 30 years, promoting dignity and independence for all people, particularly people living with a long-term health condition, carers and those who are isolated and/or housebound. What makes us different is our person-centred approach. We understand that each individual has different needs, so we work closely with people to understand what really matters for them and to help them lead independent and fulfilling lives, for as long as possible. We can help you.

We can speak up on your behalf, provide support and advice, and much more. Together we will make your voice heard and find solutions that will help you be happier.

Financial support

Turn 2 Us can offer grants to help you with the costs of essential household items, equipment, or training courses.

A personal health budget is an agreed amount of money to pay for your NHS healthcare and support needs. You can use a personal health budget to pay for a wide range of items and services, including therapies, personal care and equipment.

If you use NHS continuing healthcare you could be offered a personal health budget. Speak to your GP or healthcare team if you think a personal health budget might help you.

Find further financial information at Financial Help and Advice